Ober|Kaler Awards $35,000 in Grants to Three Nonprofits
Law Firm’s Employees Select Organizations Dedicated to Helping At-risk Youth
Baltimore-based law firm Ober|Kaler announced the recipients of its Community Grants Program today. The annual program awards $35,000 in grants to three nonprofit community organizations dedicated to improving the lives of at-risk youth in the Baltimore and Washington, DC metro areas. Druid House Mentoring Project and Sarah’s Hope will each receive a $10,000 Ober|Kaler Community Grant. A special $15,000 grant will go to DC Central Kitchen. In addition to awarding the grant, employees of the firm will volunteer their time to this program. A detailed description of each organization is listed below.
The Ober|Kaler Community Grants Program was established in 2003 on the occasion of the firm’s 100th anniversary. A committee comprised of the firm’s principals, associates and staff members chose this year’s recipients – from approximately 60 applications -- for their specific programs focused on enriching the lives of underprivileged children, improving living standards for lower income families with children, and creating educational opportunities for at-risk youth. The committee based its selection on perceived need, the community served and the impact the grant would have on the selected organization.
The Druid House Mentoring Project will receive a $10,000 grant. The project is run by the YWCA for homeless women and children. Ober|Kaler’s grant will help 26 children, ages 6 to 12, in the Druid Heights neighborhood of Baltimore with after-school tutoring and counseling.
- Sarah’s Hope, a shelter program sponsored by St. Vincent de Paul of Baltimore, will also receive a $10,000 grant. The grant will go to the Children Services Program, which provides shelter, meals, academic services and health care/insurance to 160 homeless children in Baltimore City. Sarah’s Hope keeps homeless families together.
DC Central Kitchen will receive a $15,000 grant for its Healthy Futures program. The program prepares healthy meals for low income DC children using fresh, local produce and conducts nutrition education to combat obesity and hunger, mostly in DC’s Wards 7 and 8 (Anacostia).
Ober|Kaler is a national law firm providing integrated regulatory, transactional and litigation services to financial, health care, construction and other business organizations. The firm has more than 130 attorneys, and offices in Baltimore, Washington, DC and Falls Church. For more information please visit www.ober.com.
Citybizlist Partner News
- Adelberg, Rudow, Dorf & Hendler, LLC - A Conversation with Sonia Socha, Executive Director, SBLC - Part I
- Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP - Dave Troy Got It Right On The GBTC
- St. John Properties - 2013 Recap: Leases More Than 1.2M Square Feet Of New Space
- MacKenzie - MacKenzie Closes 7521 Pulaski Highway Industrial Sale