Shot Tower Capital Advises Sony/ATV and EMI Music Publishing on the Sale of Virgin Music Publishing and Famous UK Music Publishing to BMG Rights Management
BMG announced that it has signed a binding contract to acquire selected music publishing catalogs, including the worldwide rights for the Virgin Music Publishing Companies, Famous UK Music Publishing and selected current songwriters from Sony/ATV and EMI Music Publishing.
These include some of the biggest pop hits of the past three decades from artists such as Take That, Plan B, Kurt Cobain, Tears for Fears, The Human League, Iggy Pop, Duffy, Mark Ronson and The Kooks.
Sony Corporation of America and a group of investors acquired EMI Music Publishing in June 2012 and Sony/ATV Music Publishing administers EMI on behalf of the investor group. The investor group was required to sell these catalogues by the European Commission as a condition of the acquisition.
BMG CEO Hartwig Masuch said, “These catalogues contain some of the most influential and successful songs in popular music. We are delighted to have won the opportunity to represent the writers of those songs and to demonstrate to them BMG’s commitment to twenty-first century service. They have my pledge that we will do our very best to deliver for them.”
The 21,000-song Virgin Publishing catalogue includes:
• Kurt Cobain’s generation-defining songs for Nirvana, including ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’, ‘Come As You Are’ and ‘About A Girl’;
• Rights in classic songs from the Eighties including ‘Everybody Rules The World’ (Tears For Fears), ‘Karma Chameleon’ and ‘Do You Really Want to Hurt Me’ (Culture Club), ‘Enola Gay’ (OMD) and ‘Passenger‘ (Iggy Pop);
• Plan B’s songwriting credits including ‘She Said’ and ‘Prayin‘’;
• Take That’s greatest hits including the Number Ones ‘Patience’, ‘Shine’ and ‘Greatest Day’ and Robbie William’s interests in the likes of ‘Angels’, ‘Rock DJ’ and ‘Let Me Entertain You’;
• Contemporary classics such as ‘Mercy‘ (Duffy), ‘This Ain’t A Love Song’ (Scouting For Girls) and ‘She Moves In Her Own Way’ (The Kooks).
• Interests in hits by the likes of JLS and The Wanted by UK songwriter Wayne Hector.
BMG is a partnership between Bertelsmann and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. started just three years ago as a new kind of music company representing the traditionally separate music publishing and record company rights.
Citybizlist Partner News
- Adelberg, Rudow, Dorf & Hendler, LLC - A Conversation with Pam Anthony, President, Restore Rehabilitation - Part I
- Rosenberg Martin Greenberg, LLP - Eighteen Lawyers Honored by Maryland Super Lawyers in 2014
- St. John Properties - St. John Properties Selects Charm City Concierge
- MacKenzie - MacKenzie Closes 7521 Pulaski Highway Industrial Sale